You can apply for your driving test online before you have your 12 Sessions completed, however you cannot be scheduled for your driving test until we receive the confirmation from your ADI Instructor that you have the 12 EDT Sessions completed.
The Essential Driver Training course is made up of 12 one-hour Sessions which you must complete before taking your Driving test. IMPORTANT Before you begin your training, you should check that your chosen instructor is currently approved for the delivery of EDT. On the day of your training your trainer will be happy to confirm their continuing RSA approval. Only undertake EDT training once you are satisfied that your trainer still holds RSA approval. Training completed with an individual who does not currently hold RSA approval cannot count as part of your EDT and will need to be repeated with an RSA EDT approved Instructor.
Once you’ve found an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI), ask them for advice on how to prepare for the course of EDT Sessions. They should let you know what Sessions,practice and background reading you should do before starting the course.
IMPORTANT At your first EDT Sessions, and each session thereafter, check that your ADI still has RSA approval to deliver EDT sessions.
At your first EDT session, and each session thereafter, your ADI will check your learner permit, and if you are using your own car, will check to make sure your insurance, motor tax, NCT and the roadworthiness of the vehicle are all in order.
Your ADI will give you a logbook with your name, address, date of birth and learner permit driver number. You should bring this logbook to each session and make sure all the appropriate sections are filled out after each session.
EDT sessions timeline
- You must take EDT Session 1 first in order to establish the base line. Thereafter you shall take sessions 2 to 8 and sessions 9 to 12. Sessions 9 to 12 may not be taken until sessions 2 to 8 have been completed. sessions 2 to 8 and sessions 9 to 12 are not required to be taken in sequence.
- Each of the 12 sessions in EDT lasts about one hour.
- We recommend that you leave at least two weeks between each EDT session to allow for further instruction, practice and learning.
- The EDT course is best spread out over six months.
What do the sessions cover?
Each of the EDT Sessions has particular objectives. You should prepare for each session using the EDT Course Syllabus.
The 12 Sessions are titled:
- SESSION 1: CAR CONTROLS AND SAFETY CHECKS
- SESSION 2: CORRECT POSITIONING 1
- SESSION 3: CHANGING DIRECTION 1
- SESSION 4: PROGRESSION MANAGEMENT
- SESSION 5: CORRECT POSITIONING 2 (MORE COMPLEX SITUATIONS)
- SESSION 6: ANTICIPATION AND REACTION
- SESSION 7: SHARING THE ROAD
- SESSION 8: DRIVING SAFELY THROUGH TRAFFIC
- SESSION 9: CHANGING DIRECTION 2 (MORE COMPLEX SITUATIONS)
- SESSION 10: SPEED MANAGEMENT
- SESSION 11: DRIVING CALMLY
- SESSION 12: NIGHT DRIVING